Friday, December 24, 2010

Working 2 days before Christmas, the unspoken nightmare

I work at an electronics store when I'm home from school. I don't want to get into any trouble for naming names so I'll call it Superb Purchase. Now at Superb Purchase I normally work as a salesman, putting myself in the line of shoppers everywhere to explain things to customers and help them make the best decision on what to buy.

But two days ago, which was two days before Christmas, I was called on my day off and asked if I could work an 8-hour closing shift as a cashier. This is a task of which I am capable, but I really try to avoid such situations. Being full of holiday cheer and all that malarky I decided to go ahead and cover for whoever called in sick.

Now I don't know who that person is. Nor do I ever want to find out, in fear of committing homicide. If you have never worked as a cashier during the holiday season, it's much like being kicked in the gonads by each of Santa's elves, one after another, without pause. Or would they punch because they are so short? I dunno; long story short, it's like a constant flow of strikes to your gonads.

I understand that this is a stressful time for shoppers because it's the last minute rush to get that useless thing everyone wants under the tree. But let's get one thing straight here people, it's 2 effing days before Christmas. If you cannot find that hot new item at the most popular electronics store in town, I can tell you why: You waited too long.

I know this seems harsh but let's face it, the song might be "12 Days of Christmas" but we all know it starts as soon as we pass our last Thanksgiving B.M..




So back to the story at hand here.

I now have newfound respect for cashiers who work during this season at retail stores. You are truly American heroes. People can be very mean when they fail to find the item they were looking for. And who better to take that stress out on than the cashier? They stand behind the counter with nowhere to run, plus they have to be nice to you. They're like the ultimate punching bag!

I was working the register at Superb Purchase and I was asked within the first 10 minutes of me being there why some item was not free. I'm not making this up, free.

And this wasn't just any useless item the human asked me about, it was an expensive useless item. However this human believed that because she had to run around town trying to find it, it should be free.



Who can argue with that logic?


Merry Christmas from The Blabbering Goatsicle!



No comments:

Post a Comment